Thursday 8 September 2011

Weaning and Sleeping

Ok, so our daughter has been weaned now for a month, or there about, does that mean her sleep is meant to have improved since we ceased breastfeeding at night? I don't feel like it has :( We have the odd night with only one or two wake ups, but more often than not, we have LOTS of wake up stills. I wonder if this is because we also changed her from co-sleeping to her own bed. She has no problem with her bed per say, she will go jump in her bed when she is tired, and when we say its bed time, she'll run in to there. But I think she still has issues with sleeping alone.

We do a bed time story, bottle, and cuddles to sleep. I know this is probably the wrong thing to do, but it means we do not have any tears, and Lily loves going to bed. The problem, as I see it, is that she wakes up and we aren't there so is sad. Lately, I can't be bothered getting out of bed, so on her second wake, I bring her in to bed with us again, and she sleeps pretty much through, except with a whinge at about 4:30 (at the moment, used to be 5:30, but I think this should change back in daylight savings) cos she is hungry, and depending on the whinge, she either gets a small bottle, or we try to cuddle and pat her to sleep. So now I am wondering, should we even worry about putting her in her bed? I get more sleep when she is in with us, and she is obviously not ready to sleep on her own. But I also think that she won't get used to sleeping by herself if she doesn't get the chance to. *sigh* Parenting is definitely filled with so many decisions, which really does suck for someone as indecisive as me :P

While we are on the topic of sleep associations, Lily loves to pull hair. So much so that I have now got a "lion's mane" from her pulling and breaking my hair. I have NO idea how she developed it, but it is seeming to get worse as she gets older, or maybe its just because she can pull harder. She is now also doing it to other people. She has a little friend, and when she is a bit tired and he gives her cuddles she pulls his hair. I'm not sure if it is because Lily is still a baldy that she has this pulling hair fascination, but its sending me insane. I'm hoping once she has some hair she might just pull her own hair, but I think it is a thing where she pulls it so she knows you are close/can't get away.

Sometimes I feel like I would like to go to a sleep school, but I am also not sure. I do not want to do controlled crying. I know it works for other parents, but it is not for me, and I do not want to be forced in to it by a sleep school. I have heard of some sleep schools who have a "gentle" approach, but I am not sure if there are any in my area, so I am scared of asking in case they try and convince me to attend a controlled crying one instead (as the MCHNs here have tried to tell me to limit breastfeeds, not to co-sleep, and that I couldn't do baby-led-weaning, etc. So, you could say we have different ideas, and I dislike that they want everyone to fit in to one mould). You'd think being near Byron Bay there would be somewhere I could go for some help though?


No comments:

Post a Comment