Tuesday 11 October 2011

Spring, Storms, and Homely Activities

Spring has definitely been a little mad this year. We had some stinking hot days, we had several storms, including hail, and we've spent weeks recovering from a cold.. and now I think teeth may be arriving, but really, who knows? Maybe Lily is just having an off week, or maybe, she just doesn't like the idea of me having any sleep.

While I was at the markets in Bangalow at the end of last month, Ballina had a crazy hail storm. Chris' cars were both damaged, and when I drove in to Ballina, I felt like I was driving in to a ski town rather than a beach side community. I had asked Chris to take some photos before it melted, and this is one of them:


Before this storm, things were really heating up. We had a weekend of 30+ degree days, and thought that Summer was arriving early. We were sure mistaken. Since then I'm not sure there has been many days over 20, let alone over 25! But its slowly creeping up there, which is why I decided to have a special on sun hats. EJ Kids make some great hats, and as Summer approaches I thought its time to whip out the sun hats, as we put away the beanies. EJ Kids' sun hats have wide brims, adjustable pull tie for head size, and an under chin tie to make sure the hat stays on. They are all hand made in Australia, and have some really funky fabrics to choose from. So get in and pre-order one now (sale finishes on Tuesday), but if you missed it, don't worry! You can still grab your loved one a beautiful hat from our website anyway.


With any sign of sunshine and/or blue skies, we have been visiting the beach to have a dig, collect some rocks, and sometimes splash (fall?) in the water. After all this splashing, and the cool sea breeze, I've decided to also get a whole lot more of the Bamboo Towelling Jackets that EJ Kids make too. They are easy to slip on over a wet cold child, and the zipper means that they get a close fit, and it won't fall off. And best of all, there aren't any dangly bits to fall in to the water while collecting more rocks or shells from the rock pools! These should definitely be added to your must-have list for this Summer! They work just as well at the pools as the beach, and you'll be wondering why you bothered running after your kids picking up the towels they dropped behind them.


Other things happening in the tubbles household is sewing and baking. Not necessarily in that order, though. I am finding myself baking a lot of cakes and cookies lately, which hasn't been helping my waist line at all (but have been very delicious!). We are almost over flowing with cakes and sweets at the moment, but I'm still getting requests from my other half, and I'm pretty sure my daughter has a sweet tooth, so no one seems sick of it yet (other than me). If you have any healthy baking recipes, I would love to hear them, as I still feel like baking, but think I've had enough sugar and butter for the rest of the year! (famous last words)

Sewing, on the other hand, would be really good if I could find the time. If I knew I would be staying up this late tonight, I probably would have pulled our my machine. I've got lots of ideas, but whether my sewing skills will be able to perform them is another thing. One thing I have been looking for, if anyone can help point me in the right direction, is a pattern for "newborn" cabbage patch dolls. Our "Newborn" Cabbage Patch doll only came with one outfit which proclaims "It's a girl!" on the front, which is not only starting to get really grubby, but also a bit tedious. It was fun to read that when we opened the cabbage, but after several months, the statement has lost all its excitement and energy. I mean, you don't see me walking around with a shirt stating I'm a girl, do you? I attempted to sew a pinafore type dress, just from the top of my head. My mum told me that I shouldn't (couldn't?) do it, as not even she could do that (and my mum is a woman with many years experience on the sewing machine, who if you had told her I would buy one of my own when I was older, would have laughed at the very thought of such a ludicrous statement), and while it seemed like it was all good when I started, when it came to the moment of truth, my mum was right. I am also thinking about messing about with some applique type stuff, so any advice there would be much appreciated :)

No comments:

Post a Comment